Friday 15 April 2011

I am now officially sworn in as a United States Peace Corps Volunteer! The ceremony yesterday was very nice. There was a musical group that was outstanding and speeches from the U.S. Ambassador to Namibia, the Peace Corps Country Director and others. Helen and I ended up leaving Okahandja after the ceremony instead of this morning as was originally planned. That was a bit tough as it meant quick goodbyes to people that have become our family over the past 8 weeks. We also packed in a hurry and were then on our way.
I was greeted in Keetmanshoop by a lovely host family who welcomed me with open arms even though they have never met me and had short notice about taking on an American volunteer. I spent today getting my bearings and walking to the craft center with my host niece. She knows her way around the area and I was thankful to have a Namibian showing me the ropes! Although Keetmanshoop is very different from Okahandja, which really felt like home, I will spend time making this my new home and doing what I can to become a part of this community as well. I’ll try to take some pics of the area in the next week or two so you can have a better idea of my new surroundings.
Thanks for thoughts and prayers and I hope all is well in the states!




No comments:

Post a Comment